What We Do – Plastic Injection Molding
J&L Plastic Molding transitions plastic injection molding designs to the next level of development. We help Medical Device companies (and other industries) turn 3D CAD Models of their designs into prototypes. We take lessons learned from prototyping to create bridge tooling and production tooling. J&L has a track record of producing injection molding tooling to troubleshoot and “prove out” designs in engineering grade materials. Our plastic injection molding tooling permits our customers to get samples tested by customers and regulatory organizations. Our Tooling allows Medical Device Companies to begin clinical trials. Our Tooling is vital to get products selling in the marketplace. Once a project is proven, our Tooling will transition to meet the demands of production. J&L is able to find proper Tooling solutions and produce the quality and quantity of components to reach the next level in development and production.
How We Do It
Plastic injection molding tooling projects are quoted with an understanding of the Customer’s needs. We ask questions to learn the immediate, short term needs and the long term goals of the project. We review the Design, Material Selection and Lead Time Requirements. Based on our findings we develop a Quote using J&L’s resources:
Where to build the Tool
- Wallingford, Connecticut: J&L has complete Tooling capabilities in our facility. We build and maintain Tools.
- Shenzhen, China: J&L has two Vendors in China for customers seeking take advantage of the savings of tooling in China. Tools are built in China then, upon tooling sample approval, the Tools are shipped to J&L to run production.
What type of Framing System – Based on the specifications of the project J&L will choose the proper Frame System:
- Master Unit Die (MUD) Frame System allowing the Customers to only purchase the insert mold (cavity). It is not necessary to purchase an entire standard mold frame. Saves time and money.
- Prototype Plus Frame System developed by J&L Plastic Molding using S-7 steel cavity blocks to fit a standard frame. This standardized system saves time and money with the advantage of meeting production capacity.
- DME-Style Production Mold Base: Conventional mold base and cavity blocks.
Designing and building the proper tool is the just the beginning of the relationship with J&L.
We operate in two buildings in Wallingford, Connecticut with 28 injection molding machines ranging from 28 to 385 tons of clamp force, and shot sizes from .6 to 24 ounces. We are proficient at production injection molding, prototype molding and insert molding. We process the full range of performance materials from commodity grades to engineering thermoplastic resins.
Capabilities supporting our Injection Molding Operation
- Assembly: J&L Plastic Molding’s network of suppliers allows us to efficiently manage your assembly program. We can source and assemble other “off-the-shelf” or dedicated components to supply one unit or assembly number. We will reduce your vendor base and inventory.
- Ultrasonic Welding: The application of high-frequency vibrations to two parts by a vibrating tool, known as a “horn.” Welding occurs as the result of heat generated at the interface between the parts or surfaces. It’s fast and efficient.
- Pad Printing / Plastics Decorating: Pad printing is an offset process. An engraved plate is coated with ink, then squeegeed, leaving wet ink on the plate in the engraved pattern. A silicone pad is pressed onto the plate and rises with the inked image. The inked pad descends onto the plastic component and imprints the image. Because the pad is pliable, it can form around irregular surfaces.
J&L Plastic Molding’s management system has been certified to ISO 13485 and ISO 9001.
J&L’s customer service is based on supporting our Customers’ plastic injection molding needs by being on-time with the Quality required. We are set up to service your business with ERP and Manufacturing Software. We utilize the Shoptech Software System – E2 to seamlessly perform the following tasks:
- Process Purchase Orders
- Schedule Orders
- Retain vital information
- Maintain Quality Control
- Streamline Shipping & Invoicing
As a result, J&L will is a low maintenance Supplier. Low on problems, high on solutions.
Where We Came From
J&L Plastic Molding was founded in 1972 as a prototype tooling and injection molding company. Today, with decades of experience behind us, J&L has grown to service the development and production needs of FORTUNE 500 original equipment manufacturers, start-up medical device manufacturers and companies in diverse industries.